Lime Pictures are looking for a Make Up Assistant to work with the team at Hollyoaks in Liverpool. We are looking for a confident make up artist, the role also includes styling hair, so you will also need to have experience in this area.
Dates: Full time, ongoing role
Please read the full job description below then click Apply to send us your application. Write your cover letter in the message box and the system will automatically attach the CV on your profile. In your cover letter please include:
- Confirm you're based in, or happy to relocate to Liverpool
- Tell us when you'd be able to start
- Tell us about your make up training and/or experience
- Read the 'Person Specification' below and tell us how you meet the requirements
- Tell us why you'd like to work as a Make Up Assistant at Hollyoaks
Please read the full job description below before applying:
Make Up Assistant
The Makeup Assistant will ensure that all Artistes have appropriate hair styling and makeup application completed within the allocated time frame prior to set or location shooting. They must also make sure that makeup is maintained throughout the filming day and that the continuity of looks are recorded thoroughly throughout each block.
The Makeup Assistant will work very closely with their Makeup Supervisor on each block, taking direction from them on a daily basis to understand which Artiste they have been assigned to and any other requirements for the day. The Makeup Assistant will need to refer to continuity notes and pictures when establishing an Artiste ready for shoot, or will revert to a box look under the direction of their Makeup Supervisor. Continuity is a crucial part of the Makeup Assistants role on a day to day basis, this includes taking pictures of all makeup applications with detailed notes throughout each filming day including any changes that have been made. Makeup Assistants should understand the brief that has been developed by the Head of Makeup for each character in a block and show confidence and initiative if this is questioned on set.
- Following continuity notes to provide a fast, accurate and appropriate application of makeup, be it day, glamour or special effects.
- Ensure scripts are read for each block in order to be able to support the Makeup Supervisor and answer queries on set.
- Attend set to maintain the look of an Artiste throughout the filming day.
- Create a positive environment for the Artistes, working with them in a responsible, compassionate and effective manner.
- Prepare appropriate cleaning of wigs within a health and safety guideline.
- Aim to keep the working environment clean and tidy including workspace, the makeup room, working as a team.
- Work with background Artistes to ensure their look is appropriate for the filming day and where necessary create a standard appropriate look.
- Take pictures of every look that has been created, making notes of the makeup that has been applied and specifying details of application. Notes should then be added to the continuity file that follows the character through the episode.
- Any changes made to a makeup look throughout a filming day should also be detailed within the continuity file along with supporting pictures. If pickups/reshoots are required, then another Makeup Assistant or Supervisor should be able to replicate any look by referring to the continuity file.
- Following guidance from Head of Makeup, cut, colour and style Artiste’s hair.
Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation and practices pertaining to the role
Knowledge of new brands and products
Knowledge of camera techniques and how lighting effects makeup
Understanding of makeup within television and the production process
Technical skills and qualifications
Make Up course qualification – preferably media make up but also interested to hear from people with general beauty qualifications
Hair styling and cutting skills
Hair colouring qualification
General skills and abilities
Excellent attention to detail
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to work under pressure to structured deadlines
Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize workload
Ability to work in various settings as part of a team and independently
Creative, artistic and professional approach to work
Normal colour vision
Experience in make up application e.g. in the retail or beauty industry
Experience working in television drama/continuity in makeup
Respect is key to the success of our business. We respect ourselves, each other, our audience and our programme brands. We’re a team and we know we work best when we work together. We deliver what we promise, always respecting the brief.
We are proud to champion diversity and we seek out difference. We see each other’s uniqueness as a positive and we listen and learn from each other’s values and ideas, recognising the contribution each individual person makes. We know that different voices in front and behind the camera make our brands better and stronger and we want those voices to be heard by audiences on a global scale.
We are Lime Pictures and we’re proud of our heritage and excited about our future. Our ambition knows no bounds. We care about what we do so we’ll roll up our sleeves and go beyond our job description to make sure we deliver the best results as a team.
We’re loud, proud and fearless, stepping out of our comfort zone is where the magic happens. We encourage innovation and originality. We push the boundaries, address difficult issues and break the silence. We work to the spirit, not the letter. We are never average.
Talent is at the heart of everything we do. We expect our people to grow and develop and we revel in their success. We invest time and resources so our people can push their talent and skills to the limit and we encourage them to make the most of their opportunities.